Wednesday, November 23, 2011

November start (The application adventure) - GenPact

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ok, enough about the sadness brought about by my resignation from Stream. I've forged a grudge to myself that I will make it way better on the next call center I'll enter.

I tried it first, the week after, at GenPact Services LLC. Tempting, I should say, because aside from the fact that it's also situated at Northgate where Stream is too, they are offering 22K signing bonus to those who will make it on Nov 2 application. 
I got two referrers, Crisna and the other one, Yvonne's sister-in-law, Kay Falceso.
So I was very excited to to enter and try the application process but there some good and equivalently bad things that disappointed me with the whole application.
The good:
I went to the initial interview at around 9AM, then filled in the directory for Genpact. I even went for a round of Versant, which came to me as weird as I have took up the same test around 3 years ago and I already passed. Will English level be diminishing in a matter of 3 years and I'm in a call center? Hahah.

The not-so-good:
Mind you, the first recruiting personnel who called my name doesn't really compare to all the recruiting personnel we have back at Stream. (I can't help but compare, right? It's my second call center if ever!).
His English is outright baroque. In Tagalog, it's "matigas", doesn't have slang in it, and if he attempts, it's pretty obvious he has an accent.
For a frustrated English major like me, pronunciation and diction is a very critical thing when speaking in English. Though I didn't master the language myself, I definitely know when the grammar and pronunciation is wrong. Also, for a "call center", you could have put a better, if not your best English speakers, in the front as they set the standards and initial impression of how awesome your company really is. Being an applicant, that is how I feel and I know that most people would agree with this.

Moving on, it took the recruiting almost 2 hours before they gave me the result (I was ahead of the others because I came in early). It's around 12:15PM already when one recruiter said that I should be back at 12 later for my final interview. I was thinking she was joking, but she looked at her watch and said it's 12 MIDNIGHT.
My eyebrows instantly raised themselves and my mouth forced a question shot back at her. She explained that it's true and the TM who will interview me (or us) will be logging in tonight.

So I left and finished the last part of my Stream clearance - passing it over to Finance Dept at PBCOM Tower Makati. I went there and and pursued to check out my other options at Global Milestone Asia, which I found out too late that it was a headhunter agency and not actually another call center. I got into a couple of interviews and because of the expected salary I told them, they are referring me to EXL Asia at MoA, or at 24/7 at Makati. Anyway, I went home and took that as an experience.
Since I have GenPact working on the background for my application, I didn't mind the referrals given to me.

That evening, I went back to GenPact and finished the interview, and passed it according to the intimidating Front Line Managers of the account. We were given a checklist of the requirements but the only problem was the JOB OFFER itself. They're giving me 18K starting + 2.5K Allowances = 20.5K Salary VS. my expected 22K offer that they asked of me. I was stunned but I had to have a job so I kind of like went on with the flow and told myself, I'll submit the requirements then I'll just negotiate it if possible.

Two days passed and by Friday, I found myself submitting the requirements to GenPact and getting my Pre-Employment Orientation, a form of welcome to the "would-be" employees of GenPact and to the account we're about to enter should we get to be picked - All State insurance.
There were a lot of good, cute, pretty people and of course there were the others too.

Anyway, after the orientations, I was really happy announcing to all the people I saw when I smoked by in the front of the Stream office what just happened with my application. I really thought that we'll be starting by Sunday night (Monday morning actually 1:30AM sched as what's announced to us).

But I was wrong.

I got a text message on Sunday morning from the recruiting team that I was not included in the first 20 people that are going to be starting that night on the Wave 5 training. I was with the other 20 (because we're 40 total) and the clients only needed 20. So bottom line, we're like floating agents. We would have to wait either the next wave next year or the next account that will need agents.

I was sooo irritated with that. They haven't set our expectations that tendencies like this happen at their company. Not to badmouth, but their recruiting process is not a good process. And their press release is that they're URGENTLY HIRING.

Spell pissed? That's ME.

I didn't get a call whatsoever from them ever after that. Pfft.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Succulent. Im sorry to hear that bad story. Its totally valid and no company has the right to keep anyone that bad applicant experience.

If you have time can you email me separately at toni_buena@yahoo.com I just need to ask you some details.

Thanks!

Robb said...

Thank you for the comment Toni. :)